Aluminium Welding in Marine IndustryMarine industry Or Shipbuilding industry using Aluminium as an alternate for steel for manfacturing of ships.
Aluminium is of 1/3rd of weight to steel, ease of welding, faster production, lighter ships resulting fast ships or fast patrol vessels.
Generally AA5083, AA 5086, AA 5383 & AA6082 used in marine industry with different heat temper & grade as per requirement.
Mig & Tig welding is used in Marine industry frequently.
Automation of welding at some extent is possible by use of robots.
For Mig welding 5556 & 5183 filler wire is used with Helium- Argon (80%-20%) gas shielding. Gas flow will be in the range of 16-25 lpm (litre per minute).
For Tig Welding 4043 filler wire is used with Argon (99.999 %) gas shielding. Gas flow will be in the range of 6-14 lpm (litre per minute).
Aluminium welding Needs Special Precautions. Few of them are:-
1. Edge prepared should be cleaned just before welding by buffing wheel & acetone both.
2. Correct current & voltage settings must be choosed according to plate thickness.
3. Gas flow will be according to reuirement & positon of welding.
4. welding should be avoide in very moist & windy condition,
5. It must be protected from direct wind draft.